Brushing – The Right Way
When it comes to brushing your teeth, this is one time when less is definitely not more. The time you spend brushing is a factor, and unless you’re brushing for two minutes, you’re doing your teeth a disservice.
Just remember – when it comes to dental maintenance – it helps if you have something to maintain, and that starts with a professional cleaning, flossing and examination at Allied Dental Centre – Cockburn. Call us to get started and we’ll show you how to brush your teeth – the right way!
Proper brushing is key to good oral health!
There’s a Right Way to Brush?
Yes of course there is – just like there’s a right way to do almost anything! If you want brushing to be effective, it has to be done properly in order to remove the bacteria and plaque that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
Here are the steps we recommend that you follow when brushing your teeth:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that is small enough to reach all areas of your mouth. Don’t forget the back side of the last molars!
- Start with your upper right teeth. Holding your toothbrush at a 45° angle to your gums, brush in a gentle circular motion, making sure the bristles are directed at the spot where your teeth meet your gums.
- Brush all tooth surfaces in a similar way, the cheek side, chewing surface and tongue side.
- Don’t forget your tongue! Bacteria just love to hide in the creases and crevices there too.
- A thorough brushing should take 2-3 minutes – use a timer if it will help you!
- Brush after every meal or at least before bed and in the morning.
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
Electric or Manual – Which is Better?
The best toothbrush for you is the one that will make you brush! Many studies have shown that manual toothbrushes and regular electric toothbrushes are fairly comparable when it comes to plaque removal. However, several studies have determined that the rotating oscillating electric toothbrushes appear to be superior to both in removing plague and preventing gum disease.
Some of the electric toothbrushes even come with a built in two-minute timer that beeps at 30-second intervals to let you know it’s time to move to a different area! Hi-tech bells and whistles aren’t always better, but any brush that removes more plaque is certainly worth the investment in your dental health!
Maintenance is Key!
Remember, proper dental care starts with a periodic examination at Allied Dental Centre – Cockburn. We’ll get your pearly white teeth cleaned, take any necessary x-rays and let you know the areas of your mouth that you need to concentrate on a bit more to prevent further tooth decay. We’ll also demonstrate proper brushing and flossing and answer any questions you might have.
Ready to get started? So are we, so give us a call and we’ll schedule you for a periodic dental cleaning and examination. We know you’ll just love that fresh mouth feeling!